The latest Renault Clio has been named Carbuyer Car of the Year 2020 – the first major accolade for Renault’s supermini, just launched in its fifth generation.
Carbuyer’s panel of expert judges said the new Clio has set a new quality benchmark for how good a small car can be, combining great practicality and comfort, a stylish design, strong fuel economy and a best-in-class, tech-laden interior to make an unbeatable all-round package.
As well as winning the Car of the Year award, the Clio was also named Best Small Car for 2020. The Clio’s double triumph ends the dominance of the previous winner, the Ford Fiesta which won both awards consecutively for 2018 and 2019.
Skoda’s haul of five awards confirms its place as the maker of some of the best thought-out, most practical and well-priced cars on the market, with wins for its Citigo, Scala, Superb, Superb Estate and its latest model, the Kamiq SUV.
As with all the 2020 awards winners, the Clio was thoroughly tested and judged on running costs, practicality, reliability and safety.
“This is the best incarnation of the Clio yet – and there have been some brilliant ones over the years,” said Carbuyer’s James Batchelor.
“It ticks all the boxes for today’s supermini buyers by blending chic style with the latest technology, excellent build quality and decent space, too. That it’s great to drive and efficient is icing on the Clio cake.”
Carbuyer Best Cars Awards 2020 – the winners
- Carbuyer Car Of The Year – Renault Clio
- Best City Car: Skoda Citigo
- Best Small Car: Renault Clio
- Best Family Car: Skoda Scala
- Best Estate Car: Skoda Superb Estate
- Best Large Family Car: Skoda Superb
- Best Small Luxury Car: BMW 1 Series
- Best Compact Executive Car: BMW 3 Series
- Best Large Executive Car: BMW 5 Series
- Best Company Car: Toyota Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid
- Best Luxury Car: Mercedes S-Class
- Best 7-Seater Car: Citroen Grand C4 SpaceTourer
- Best Sports Car: Mazda MX-5
- Best Convertible: MINI Convertible
- Best Hot Hatch: Ford Fiesta ST
- Best Small SUV: Skoda Kamiq
Best Medium SUV: Peugeot 3008
- Best Large SUV: Land Rover Discovery
- Best Pickup: Ford Ranger
- Best Electric Car: Kia e-Niro
- Best Hybrid Car: Hyundai Ioniq
- Best Customer Service: Lexus